Sunday, February 10, 2008

The little things

1. This morning it started snowing snowflakes the size of golf balls. I noticed that my bird feeders didn't have any seed in them, and I asked Hubby - who was still in his pj's (as was I) if he'd fill at least one of them up for me. Without hesitation or even a passing glance to me, he very willingly went and put on all of his snow gear (hat, coat, gloves & boots) right over his pajamas and went out and did it for me. I had to tell him how to open this particular one up, and at the end of telling him, I said, and then you do the Hokey Pokey (all while he's standing there in the falling snow). When he was done doing what he had to, h stood there in the middle of the deck and did a wiggle/twist as if he was doing the Hokey Pokey...lol. I can't believe that he did that, in the middle of what looked like a blizzard, and right out of bed no less. I am so thankful to have such a great and happy-go-lucky husband.

2. After hubby had filled the bird feeder, I was standing there watching the birds while he then made us bacon & eggs. He had just placed a 13x9 glass Pyrex baking dish on the table and said "I'll need this for later (to make baked mac & cheese, his new nemesis...lol). I stood there looking at that dish, trying to recall where it had come from. I've had it for years and years, but it wasn't new when I got it, and I couldn't remember when I got it or from whom. I mean, here's just this little glass baking dish that I know someone had to have given me, and it's been with me forever. How lucky am I to get one of these old glass Pyrex dishes that last forever and ever - they're great, aren't they? And as I stood there thinking of these things, I realized how incredibly blessed I was to have all of the things I have, how easily they came to me, and how rich I am for having them. I have cupboards filled with glasses that were gifts, we made our breakfast in pans that were gifts, and we ate off of really cool plates that were really cheap. I stood in my cool kitchen watching birds feed off of seed that was on my deck, attached to my very own house. I stared out through the bare trees and across the property of the neighbor behind me to faintly see two swans swim by in the torrent of the storm, all from the comfort of my warm home. Thanks just aren't enough. I am immensely blessed.

3. After dumping a few inches of snow, the sun has come out full force as if it's a day at the beach! I am so thankful that it's not a gray and gloomy day today!!!

What are YOU thankful for?

(Tell me in the comments!)

3 Comments:

At February 11, 2008 at 12:03 AM , Blogger Middle-Aged Moi said...

That is the greatest story! Your hubby sounds like so much fun! And now I KNOW why I like you so much....YOU LIKE BIRDS TOO! :-)

My three thanks:

1) Birds! I honestly love them. Outside, mind you, in the wild, but I love to watch them.

2) My crazy kids who came into our bedroom after my nap today and crawled all over me like a bunch of hooligans. It was so much fun.

3) A day of rest. I love Sundays.

 
At February 11, 2008 at 2:31 PM , Blogger Patricia said...

1. A relaxing weekend!! It's been awhile!

2. A warm apartment & a warm bed! On frigid days like these I pray for those who aren't as lucky.

3. My daughter & her sweet, caring self! I know I include her in these a lot, but I can't help myself!! I am just so darn THANKFUL for her in our lives!! :)

By the way...your hubby sounds wonderful!! You are both going to make awesome parents!

 
At February 13, 2008 at 9:51 AM , Blogger Jane and Jim said...

Very cool blog. I'm going to link to yours.
1) my dogs. they are my little angels, ALWAYS there for me

2) my sleep. i adore sleep and am very good at it

3) my brain. God gave me a good one so i'm trying to do the best with it

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home