Thursday, March 8, 2007

Birds, Sleep, the smell of Spring

1. Birds. Since I was about 18, I have had a slight fascination with birds. However I never had a house to put out a bird feeder or anything until 3 years ago, and one of the first things I did when we got our house was put up some feeders. Then, when I was planting window boxes that hang on the deck railing, I planted flowers that would attract hummingbirds. Next, when I was creating the new gardens aroudn the base of the deck, I focused on perennials that were butterfly and hummngbird friendly. Now, in only three years, I have gotten anywhere from 1 to 5 hummngbirds at a time feeding from the plants and nectar feeders, and I have had tons and tons of birds come to visit my yard. Besides hummingbirds, the most memorable birds in my backyard to date was a Baltimore Oriole last season, and in the past month alone, I've had a Northern Flicker (which is stunning to see the canary yellow underside of its wings) and a hawk. I regularly have Cardinals, Blue Jays, woodpeckers of all kinds, black capped chickadees, the tufted titmouse, dark-eyed Junco's, and different types of warblers and sparrows. I love to sit with a cup of coffee and stare at them for a half hour or more. it's great meditation, Or, in the summer, I can sit outside and watch the hummingbirds drink from their feeder or the plants, and when they see me sitting there watching them, they will literally fly up to me, a foot or so from my face, to check me out. I am so grateful that I have a yard to garden n and a deck to plant container gardens in, to attract my fine feathered friends!

2. Sleep. I am usually not a very good sleeper and will wake up many times a night. Lately, for the past few weeks, I have been sleeping like a log! I even get 7-8 hours of sleep and wake up still tired, ready for more. Coming from a girl who used to only get 4-5 hours and be wide awake in the morning despite the lack of sleep, this is a miracle. I am thankful to be getting such good rest!

3. Spring. Even in the cold, I can smell spring on it's way. I can't describe the smell, and I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about, but I smell it every year, even in a foot of snow. It's on its way and I am so grateful for that!

What are YOU grateful for?

(Tell me in your comments!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home