Tuesday, August 7, 2007

knowing I have a problem, hubby's help, short week

1. Whenever I have people over, I need to clean the house. Well, ok, so does everyone when they have people over. But here's the thing: you'd be shocked to see how we live 24/7 when it's just us, knowing that no one comes to our house uninvited because we live an hour away from everyone we know. We're slobs. No Joke. It's like we're giant 8 year olds where we will use something and not put it back, or when we get in the house after work we drop our shit at the foot of the piano in the living room and it'll sit there til... well, till we plan on having company and it has to get moved. So what usually happens is that I get so overwhelmed with how much has to be done that I freeze up and do nothing. Not even kidding. It's a panic thing, and that's how I cope with it. Then, at the last minute (the day before) I take the day off from work (I always plan for it way in advance, knowing I do this...lol) and then I go CRAZY getting everything done - being too exhausted to really enjoy the festivities the next day. Well this year, this time, I planed even better. I took not only Friday off, but Thursday too. This way, I can freak out and clean on Thursday and then give myself a free day to try to relax and rest between the leaning and the party. I also started cleaning last week instead of two days before and I made a list of everything I'd like to do. I also stop myself when I feel the panic (lack of movement) set in and I talk myself out of it, and focus on doing one of the things on the list. So the thing I'm thankful about this is that I know I freeze up and go stagnant when I feel overloaded, and this is the very first time that I have been able to talk myself out of it and talk myself into doing something else. I am thankful for being able to plan ahead and move through my overwhelmed state.

2. Thank God for hubby and all of his help. I am very grateful for him, and for his assistance in getting the house ready.

3. Even though I took two days off to clean house and prepare for a BBQ, I'm still thrilled to have a short work week at my job. I would rather scrub shit in my own home til my knuckles bled than sit on my ass all day long in that godforsaken place. I am thankful to have only three days of it this week.

What are YOU thankful for?

(Tell me in your comments!)

3 Comments:

At August 7, 2007 at 8:15 PM , Blogger Middle-Aged Moi said...

1) I am SO thankful that my company has left and I have my house back. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

2) I spent a WHOLE HOUR today reading. By myself. The kids left me alone. FOR A WHOLE HOUR! Heaven.

3) These thank you lists. They help me to remember to be grateful for what I have.

4) I know, it's actually the fourth one, but I bought a really cute pair of camoflage pants today and they look so cute! Can't help it. I love clothes.

 
At August 7, 2007 at 9:02 PM , Blogger Patricia said...

OK, I am sitting here CRACKING UP over your #1 & #3!!! Why?? Because I can TOTALLY RELATE!!

Here are my 3 today:

1. My daughter wore "big girl undies" for 3 hours straight today without an "accident" HOORAY!!!!!

2. For whatever reason, perhaps the coffee stars & planets were aligned correctly, but I had THE BEST cup of coffee this morning which actually kicked my headache away!

3. Air conditioning....on a day with humidity like 1000%, need I say more? ;)

 
At August 7, 2007 at 10:53 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

1. Cooler weather. We are moving on Friday, and the weather calls for much cooler temps than last week. Thank goodness.
2. Brand new, shiny apartment. Even though moving is a pain, we get to have a brand new apartment that has been completely renovated. New carpet, marble counter tops, totally new cabinets and floors. Yay!
3. An upcoming trip. Next weekend I get to visit my sister in S.F. for my nephew's birthday and I am so excited. I love having something to look forward to.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home